Ethiopian Job by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Regional Expert Economic Development
GIZ- Internal/External Vacancy Re-Announcement #128/2018
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
We have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. Of our 18,260 employees in some 120 countries, almost 70 per cent are national personnel working in the field.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards with regard to transparency and accountability. German and European values are central to our work. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments benefit from our services, too.
In Ethiopia GIZ has been implementing development programmes on behalf of the German government for over 40 years jointly with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education, sustainable use of natural resources, land management and food security, biodiversity and forestry. Further programmes enhance the development of a sustainable textile sector and renewable energies.
GIZ-SURED (Sustainable Use of Rehabilitated Land for Economic Development 2018–2020) will be focusing on the economic development and sustainable utilization of rehabilitated areas. Against this background, GIZ Ethiopia is looking to recruit Regional Expert Economic Development for GIZ-SURED Project as specified:
Position: Regional Expert Economic Development
Application deadline: August 24, 2018
Required Candidates: One
Place of Work: SNNPR
- Introduce, plan and monitor the implementation of economic development measures through value chains, FBS including private sector, farmer producer groups and organized farmers like cooperatives.
- Select and support comparative beneficial value chains of inclusive and climate-smart nature.
- Identify opportunities to ensure maximum employment for utilization of rehabilitated lands.
- Identify suitable private companies engaged in processing of agricultural products, input supply, capacity development in the region;
- Support the formation of groups in close cooperation with the Advisor Social/Organization;
- Provide training/guidance/support to group formations and private service providers on the elaboration of business plans;
- Provide training/guidance/support to group formations and private service providers on the establishment of value chains and elaboration of business plans in close cooperation with Thematic Advisor Value Chain;
- Facilitate linkages between private service providers and group formations;
- Capacitate relevant zone and woreda experts to guide value chain development and the elaboration of business plans for groups formations on income generating activities according to the PIM and governmental regulations;
- Provide guidance/support to zone and woreda experts on cross cutting issues, screening environmental and social impacts (safeguard standards) of economic development projects;
- Provide guidance/support to watershed user associations, cooperatives and unions on the creation of financing schemes, revolving funds, credit schemes according to the PIM and governmental guidelines;
- Provide guidance/support to relevant zone and woreda staff to supervise financing schemes for group formations;
- Support the introduction and monitoring of extension methodologies for commercialization of small scale farming systems like Farmer Business School (FBS) into the project and partner systems;
- Assess and monitor all services in terms of rate of return, unit costs, cost efficiency other relevant economic and financial methods and standard agricultural economics;
- Introduce, plan and monitor the implementation of Economic Development measures;
- Perform any other task given by the project management.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree (in minimum BA) in rural development, natural resource management, economic development or other relevant subjects.
- Agricultural economics back ground and with proven practical experience, preferably in SNNP, Gambella or Benishangul regions.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in promoting economic development in rural areas.
- Minimum of 1-year experience in training community-based organizations in the area of business planning, book keeping etc.
- Excellent capabilities as trainer including participatory training methodology, planning and evaluation of training events.
- Good knowledge of the GIZ rules and regulations and of GIZ project cycle management would be an asset.
- Good technical knowledge in the fields related to SLM/SURED and practical experience on business plan development, value chain analysis and environmental & social safeguard issues.
- Experiences in public private partnership relationship would be an asset.
- Proven capacities for systemic and strategic thinking, planning and management.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of SLMP guiding documents (PIM, CBPWD, Exit / Sustainability Strategy, Operational Manual, etc.) would be an asset.
- Excellent skills and experience with relevant sector actors.
- Excellent knowledge of English and regional language, written and spoken.
- Excellent working knowledge of standard computer applications such as MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
- Experience in developing and building good working relationships with development partners, government organization and with other public and private sectors.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills on different hierarchical levels, including conflict management skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their application letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or to the following address:
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
P.O. Box 100009
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Fax: 011 554 0764
The name of the position for which the application is made should be clearly marked on the envelope or on the fax applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged
Deadline Aug 24, 2018